Location: Schaumburg, IL or Washington, DC office preferred (flexible hybrid schedule); Remote Possible
Type: Full Time
Salary: Depends on experience level
ANESTHESIOLOGY Managing Editor – Schaumburg, IL or Washington, DC office preferred (flexible hybrid schedule); Remote Possible
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 55,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 155 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise, and knowledge that each one brings to our table.
Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last five years.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists values the safety of our employees, our members, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
ASA offers flexible hybrid home-and-office work arrangements and so much more! As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are smart, creative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
The Managing Editor is the senior member of the Anesthesiology journal staff, responsible for planning and implementation of journal editorial strategies and editorial operations. Position has overall responsibility and specific focus on data, analytics, and strategy. Works closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board, and in partnership with leaders in academia and anesthesiology research, to strengthen the journal’s brand, quality, customer experience, and reputation. The Managing Editor oversees the editorial office team, peer review operations and peer review services partner, editorial data analysis and interpretation, continuous content improvement, and is charged with raising the journal’s profile in anesthesiology, critical care and pain medicine through strategic planning and implementation. Broad responsibilities also include monitoring scholarly biomedical publishing industry trends and policies, adopting and socializing new guidelines and processes, and working with Editors to enhance content richness and broaden editorial reach. The Managing Editor is an ambassador for Anesthesiology and acts as a dependable resource to the Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board, and ASA on editorial and publishing practices.
· Collaborate with journal Editors, third-party partners and ASA to develop and execute strategic initiatives and to reinforce the journal’s brand.
· Oversee the Assistant Managing Editor to manage and refine peer review practices, communicate with authors, editors, and reviewers, in collaboration with the peer review partner. Oversee the Digital Communications Specialist to produce high-quality and engaging journal digital, social media, and multimedia content.
· Monitor and report on journal Anesthesiology performance metrics. Lead strategic journal analytics initiatives using data from a broad range of sources including manuscript submission system, journal website, and third-party software. Interpret and present data, proposing content and other enhancements based on data analysis and contemporary bibliometrics.
· Monitor and report on content, trends, strategies, and performance metrics of Anesthesiology competitor and non-competitor journals in anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, critical care and pain, as well as leading general medical journals, using data from a broad range of appropriate sources. Interpret and present data, proposing content and other enhancements to Anesthesiology based on strategy and to achieve competitive advantage.
· Manage editorial and peer review services partner. Design and execute performance improvement plans if firm is not meeting goals. Monitor trends in peer review and ensure incorporation of best practices in review processes and policies.
· Work closely with journal publisher, Wolters Kluwer, and society Marketing to implement marketing and author recruitment campaigns and other initiatives with the goal of increasing journal submissions, editorial recognition and impact. Work with editors to develop author recruitment strategies. Monitor competitor and non-competitor journals in perioperative medicine, critical care, and pain, as well as leading general medical journals and clinical trial registries, to identify potential authors to recruit for follow-on and secondary analyses of primary results. Work with editor(s) to recruit authors of ongoing relevant clinical trials to submit their results in Anesthesiology.
· Identification, development and roll-out of current and new journal features in print and online, including multimedia (podcast and video) and new article types, in collaboration with Editors and the Publisher.
· Work with the appropriate ASA department staff and third-party partners to plan and maintain a journal operations business continuity program.
· Plan agendas and prepare meetings and presentation materials for Journal editorial board and strategy meetings.
· Manage freelance writers and designers associated with the Journal. Work with ASA Director of Publications and ASA legal department to prepare any annual contractual obligations.
· Monitor and participate in ASA communications and strategic initiatives as they affect the Journal.
· Assist publisher and society marketing in development and implementation of targeted, effective and compelling marketing campaigns for the Journal, including requested input on creation, production and delivery of content, messaging, marketing materials, and execution tactics.
· With the Assistant Managing Editor, co-manage ethical and research integrity issues as they arise, and research solutions based on COPE guidelines and other best practices. Escalate to Editor-in-Chief as appropriate.
· Plan and execute journal Annual Meeting activities including Journal Symposium, Best Abstracts, Celebration of Research and Editorial Board reception in conjunction with Assistant Managing Editor.
· Work with Anesthesiology Editorial Board, ASA staff and Wolters Kluwer to maintain a balanced budget governed by the contractual agreement with Wolters Kluwer. Partner with ASA staff and Editor-In-Chief to prepare the August ASA Board of Directors Journal report.
· Seek opportunities for continuing education in editorial and publishing best practices and participate in editorial and journal publishing conferences and webinars (such as CSE, SSP, COPE, Editorial Manager User Group, etc.).
· Committee liaison for the ASA Committee on Excellence in Research.
· Bachelor's degree in English or Journalism or related field highly desired. Individuals with an advanced degree in biomedical science, and the requisite academic publishing experience below are also very welcome.
· Minimum 7 years of experience working in a publications or communications environment; preferably with a peer-reviewed medical journal.
· Minimum 7 years of experience publishing/proofreading/copyediting for print and/or electronic publishing.
· Minimum 3 years of managerial experience in a related/smaller function.
· Knowledge and expertise with peer review and manuscript management systems, including Editorial Manager, currently used by the Journal, is highly desired.
· Understands copyrights and permissions.
· Background and knowledge in digital communications with exposure to digital and social networking technologies (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, web videos, blogging, etc.).
· Strong budget and reporting experience are necessary.
· Familiarity with clinical and basic research in anesthesia, critical care or pain is desired, or minimally, a biomedical/clinical discipline.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Proficiency in electronic publishing and database management.
· Highly developed interpersonal skills, demonstrating confidence and poise with a strong member-service orientation.
· Ability to work cross departmentally and collaboratively and to bridge between staff members, volunteers, publisher and vendors.
· Ability to autonomously manage large-scale projects from start to finish, maintains high level of organization and ability to multi-task effectively, managing overlapping projects. Strong follow-through to meet deadlines.
· Ability to act independently and collaboratively in a complex organization and within journal and company policy.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association that serves more than 55,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. We strive to be the world's premier medical society by offering superior educational opportunities and resources to our members, as well as a positive, empowering environment for our employees.
With more than 175 talented, enthusiastic employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, unique expertise, and vast knowledge that every individual brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to a variety of member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty as a whole.
Each of us is dedicated to our members and we strive to create an outstanding experience that helps them succeed. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily tasks—we set high expectations for ourselves, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Collectively, our desire to keep improving allows us to achieve great things as we seek feedback, pursue know...ledge, and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
One tangible result of living these values is being named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last five years. ASA was also awarded the Health Champion designation for two consecutive years by the American Diabetes Association®.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!