- About DFWAE
- Join / Renew
- Career Center
The Manager, National Security Policy supports the Vice President for National Security Policy on all matters relating to DOD defense acquisition and national security policy, and represents AIA on these and related issues to AIA membership, outside organizations, the Department of Defense (DOD) and other executive branch agencies, and Congressional committees and member offices.
The Manager, National Security Policy engages with AIA staff, member companies, councils, and committees, and is responsible for monitoring, analyzing, proposing, and advocating policies concerning defense industrial policy and procurement-related practices, the implementation of relevant regulations and legislation and their implementation, and other related areas.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
The Manager, National Security Policy reports directly to the Vice President for National Security Policy. S/he maintains regular contact with government officials and representatives of the Department of Defense (primarily the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the military service Secretariats, and other defense agencies) and other Executive Branch agencies and offices. S/he may accompany the Vice President for National Security Policy and other senior AIA leaders to meet with senior Administration officials, members of Congress and staff, AIA member company CEOs and other executives, and other senior individuals in and out of government.
The Manager, National Security Policy responds to inquiries from member companies, government officials, military personnel, the public, and the media. These inquiries may range from general questions to highly technical requests requiring significant effort to assemble data and related background information. S/he also may prepare Congressional testimony for AIA leaders.
The Manager, National Security Policy will support the Vice President for National Security Policy in monitoring developments and initiatives within the national security community and the Defense Industrial Base (DIB) to ensure that AIA’s awareness and advocacy are integrated, comprehensive and consistent. S/he may be called upon to present the Association’s views orally and in writing to government and industry officials and to the media; to represent the Association in coalitions that are formed to present a unified approach on national security policy issues of mutual interest; and to represent AIA positions as a spokesperson at conferences and seminars. S/he will contribute articles and news items to AIA publications, highlighting issues and developments falling within the NSP division’s domain, and prepare summaries of such issues for use during AIA or outside meetings.
Additional related duties include:
- Analyzing industry challenges and opportunities to prompt deliberations and actions;
- Synthesizing concepts and ideas coming from government contacts to provide insight into future defense and aerospace developments;
- Building industry consensus among member companies on relevant and timely topics and issues, and serving as staff liaison to relevant internal and external groups;
- Supporting periodic NSP council and committee meetings, including developing the agenda, assembling background information and materials, arranging for speakers and other participants, ensuring that minutes are prepared, and managing associated expenses;
- Assisting with the planning and execution of major association events, including Executive Committee and Washington Representatives meetings, semi-annual Board of Governors meetings, periodic meetings with senior government officials; and
- Other duties as assigned.